I've been looking around for a way to represent long grass and scrubland in the Sudan for my 10mm Sands of Sudan Project.
I started of using sisal string which proved to be a bit fluffy once teased out.
I then tried some horsehair which I had lying around.
It's not ideal but the best I can do in the circumstances.
Here are some Egyptian Infantry (half a battalion) awaiting a Mahdist charge.
I mounted the horsehair on some 40mm Warbases rounds with a touch of sand and paint.
I'll probably make felt areas to delineate where the scrub actually is.
Has anyone got any better ideas. Normally I would go scrounging around the DIY stores but that is not available to me just now.