Wednesday 25 March 2020

Scrub in the Sudan - Shaved

My further experiments of making 10mm grass tufts with sisal string have proved unsuccessful. I am OK if you to want to represent cat vomit in 1:1 scale.

I went back to my horsehair shrubbery and shaved the top off until it was about 10mm high and then gave it a 'wig' of green flock.

Here's before:

And here's after:

What do you think?

Sunday 22 March 2020

Scrub in the Sudan

I've been looking around for a way to represent long grass and scrubland in the Sudan for my 10mm Sands of Sudan Project.

I started of using sisal string which proved to be a bit fluffy once teased out.

I then tried some horsehair which I had lying around.

It's not ideal but the best I can do in the circumstances.

Here are some Egyptian Infantry (half a battalion) awaiting a Mahdist charge.

I mounted the horsehair on some 40mm Warbases rounds with a touch of sand and paint.

I'll probably make felt areas to delineate where the scrub actually is.

Has anyone got any better ideas. Normally I would go scrounging around the DIY stores but that is not available to me just now.

Wednesday 11 March 2020

WSS Mounted Dragoons - Full Unit

 I finished the remaining 6 Mounted Dragoons so here they are as a full unit.

Meanwhile some camels have appeared in the Sands of Sudan project box.

And some die markers.

Litko round bases, Warbases die holders and mini-dice, railway ballast, paint and static grass.

Pendraken 1882 Egyptian Infantry are soon to be ready.


I am waiting for the Covid-19 event to wither away as I'm hoping to attend Carronade in Falkirk in May and also have a family holiday in Spain during July.


My medical team have reviewed my last CT scan, from January, and have declared that there is no further signs of cancer.

However they detected some narrowing of my left coronary artery which will need some attention.

My response is to keep on painting soldiers.

More when I know it.