Followers

Sunday 7 February 2016

The Big Buy at Vapnartak 2016

OK Guys, here's what I got at Vapnartak this morning.

3 boxes of 28 mm Perry Continental infantry.


Each box has a command sprue, 4 figures, 2 rifleman sprues, 4 figures and 6 rank and file sprue, 30 figures. That's 114 figures but only 3 command elements making three 38 figure units. Too big for me.



If I buy another 4 command sprues and 5 riflemen sprues that makes 140 figures but crucially 7 command elements allowing me to make seven 20 figure units. Probably a lot nearer my requirements. Time to do some mail order.

I took pity on Pete Berry and cleared him out of AWI packs for the day. These will give 16 units each of 6 mm British and Rebels.


I'll do a more detailed breakdown of the packs in due course.

I got 6 packs of Kallistra 12 mm AWI Continentals and I hope to get at least 6 units of Continental infantry out of them. See my later comments on unit breakdowns.


I added a few more bottles of paint to my collection.


Finally I bought a set of British Grenadier rules which came highly recommended to me from a number of directions.


I need to study their requirements for a number of things, unit sizes, figures sizes, base sizes, number of figures per base, compatibility with Black Powder, scenario requirements and probably a few more things when I get there.

Finally, finally, I got some farmyard animals for Old MacDonald, formerly known as my old chum Dave (although he constantly reminds me that he is not as old as me).


So, what do you think of my approach to my new period AWI?

I aim to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of this over that. I get a better understanding of what I want for myself. I get some units which I should be able to sell for charity if I don't keep them for myself. I might be able to help others answer their own questions in this area.

Win, win all round.

On the down side I got my photograph taken with these guys.









17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, nice to put some flesh on the bones of our loose associates.

      My next show will be Albanich in Dumfries.

      Delete
  2. Jim an enjoyable show. Good to see you.
    You certainly beat my big purchase of 4 FIW canoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a good show and also good that you and I met up again. Met a few of the 'others' as well.

      I will probably have a number of AWI questions for you and in particular your approach with Black Powder. Give me a few days.

      Delete
  3. Agoodly collection of loot. Jim, am I right in saying that you are doing the rebellion into different scales?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 different scales if I read it right! That's doing a project not by half! :o)

      Delete
    2. Very perceptive of you Mr Kinch.

      Can you say how many scales I am not doing it in?

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good day. The AWI is a fascinating period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't think why I have missed it over all these decades. I seem to have covered just about everything else.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you managed to do something that I haven't done for a long time ... go to a wargames show and actually buy something! Looks like a very interesting set of purchases that will keep you busy for some time to come.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are shows that are good for buying. There are shows that are good for selling. There are shows that are good for seeing and there are shows that are good for meeting.

      Not all shows are good at all of these, York is good for the first and the last and reasonable for the third.

      Delete
  6. Will be very interested to see how you get on with the Kallistra figures - I am hoping to make them the next are that I do after my 10 napoleonic French / Austrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the interim in size between 10s and 15s that attracts me as well the cost effectiveness. The level of detail is nearer 15s but the footprint is nearer (or perhaps the same as) 10s.

      I will blog in due course.

      Delete
  7. Hello Jim,
    Nice to meet up with yourself and the other Forum members. I, also, managed to lighten the Baccus stall's stock, but, in my case, of 6mm North American houses for use with 10mm Pendraken ACW.
    I'll keep an eye on you progress with the AWI, as its certainly an interesting prospect seeing three different scales being built up and then tested. I've AWI in 15mm (Peter Pig) for skirmish gaming using the Musket and Tomahawk rules, but alas its another stalled project. Possibly your work could see me find the impetus to get the two small starter forces finished and gamed with.
    Cheers, Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, another little gang of honest men willing to trade ideas for free. At least that's what I hope they are.

      I'll blog the AWI Project as I go and hopefully get to a conclusion before too long.

      Delete
  8. I’ve got a few boxes of HO/OO AWI plastics kicking around if you want them? You didn’t mention that scale

    ReplyDelete