Followers

Wednesday 8 August 2018

Claymore 2018 - The Aftermath

Well, that's another Claymore out of the way. At least I made it this year as last year I was housebound recovering from a TIA. I subsequently went on to develop a bladder infection/obstruction and ultimately emergency surgery when a cancer ridden kidney was removed.

More of that later.

Many thanks for all the wellwishers.

So Claymore 2018 was the first time I had seen many of my friends and acquaintances and I spent a long long time updating them all sequentially or in small groups. Seeing the show turned into a secondary pursuit but I did manage to catch a few games and sample the atmosphere of my home show. I can't believe I used to be one of the major Claymore organisers, it was such a long time ago.


This is the atrium quite early on which was more crowded than this picture shows for most of the day. Apart from the sports hall and the bring & buy there are a few more traders tucked away near the entrance.


The sports hall was pretty busy too, ringed with more traders and gamers in the centre.


The bring & buy was absolutely heaving and I'm led to believe did a storming trade. I couldn't get near the sharp edge which was just as well as I had pre-ordered all my necessary goodies beforehand.


This is Barry Hilton and his crews offering. Would you believe that I never got a chance to ask him what it was. (note to self, must try harder next time).

More about Barrys stuff here:

https://leagueofaugsburg.blogspot.com/2018/08/white-out-at-aspern-essling-reflections.html#!/2018/08/white-out-at-aspern-essling-reflections.html


This the Leuchars Veterans Carrying On Up The Khyber.


Durham Wargames Group going large (42mm) in the snow.


Some of my former clubmates now formed as the Gothenburgh Gamers dabbled in a great big canal assisted (I believe) by a Suez veteran, well done that man.

More details from a chums blog.

http://blenheimtoberlin.blogspot.com/2018/08/claymore-2018-edinburgh-4th-august.html


King in the North, Dale Smith and his retinue went touring through a 1945 Berlin Square. I never got a chance to check back later to see how the advancing Russian hordes got on and did any of the beleaguered Germans survive.


Every WW2 game with Germans in it just have to have a Tiger and so they did.

Meanwhile, back at home.


Here's some 7YW Crusader Prussians I am doing for a chum.


The battalion includes a Grenadier company who will be siphoned off to join other companies in a Converged Grenadier unit.


Those in the know will be able to say this is a 1st Battalion.


Now, all they need is some tufts and static grass.

Finally, a health update.

Had a phone call this morning from Oncology. They have cancelled my appointment due on Tuesday of next week.

They have reviewed my last CT scan and the suspected cancer spot on my right lung has gone, the suspected cancer spot on my left lung has gone, the shadow on my hip looks benign.

I have been transferred back to Urology expecting an appointment and some more precautionary CT scans. I would take all that as an improvement.

Whoopee!

43 comments:

  1. Fantastic news Jim! Delighted to hear this.
    Cheers
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw you on Saturday across the hall but failed to catch you for a chat.

      Delete
  2. Jim,

    A great show report ... but even better news about your health! It made my day when I read your news, and here's hoping that you'll get fitter and fitter as time passes.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the verge of looking up Google for info on running half marathons on one kidney but sanity got the better of me and I decided to paint figures instead.

      Delete
  3. That is good news! I hope your health continues to be good, and you continue to be happy!
    I wish I could get to Claymore, it looks like a great show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of the two big Scottish shows and is admired across the wargaming fraternity.

      I hope now to crack the tiredness problem.

      Delete
  4. Well done Jim for attending Claymore. Best of luck with everything and keep on painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt I had to be there since I had missed so many shows over the last year.

      Delete
  5. A good little show report Jim....
    But no where near as good as your health report... nice one ... long may it continue.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear of your continuing recovery - a good show and some fine Prussians - all good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just starting a second battalion then another two battalion regiment to follow.

      Delete
  7. Very encouraging news on the health front, Jim!

    Excellent Prussians but those in the know notice the Prussians flags are mounted upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How embarrassing.

    Thanks for spotting that.

    Easily corrected though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you and your great news. It's also nice that you were able to get out of the house for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made two or three little forays of half a day at a time without exhausting myself too much and I also managed a completely sober 4 day Polish-Scottish wedding in May half a days drive away so I'm getting there.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear your good news , great looking show as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had gone to the show with an aspiration of making a full photo catalogue of the days events.

      As it was just chatting with my many friends wore me out rather more quickly than I would have liked.

      Delete
  11. That's great - much more encouraging news than you told me at the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish I had known that much last Saturday.

      Delete
  12. Good to see you at Claymore. Dave D mentioned your news tonight so I opened the blog to check it out. Great news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't keep it secret for too long.

      A chance to move on now.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jim,

    That is really good news old chap!

    Love the Prussians by the way....

    All the very best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a great pleasure to have a short chat with you during the show. See you soon Jim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bart

      I don't plan on missing any more shows for health reasons, it's bad for continuity.

      Jim

      Delete
  15. Jim, Good to see you in reasonable health on the day. It was also good to see "grandson in action" and the health update is excellent news.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what health category i was in but my surgery description included the word 'emergency'.

      I'm now categorised as 80% survival for 5+ years but some of that is based on old data. I'm expecting a bit longer.

      Delete
  16. Good news Jim. Out of the loop so glad I've hit your blog at a time of positive news. In my thoughts mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiddo.

      I've been to a dark place, didn't like it so came back.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  17. I am very glad to hear that. It isn't a nice place at all and you are much better placed in the light - namaste (sheesh) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When will you be attending a wargames show like the rest of us mere mortals. I do about a dozen a year. Catch me sometime, Gateshead in a fortnight.

      Delete
    2. Nearly made it to both Carronade and Claymore - but I'd have to stop supporting and taxi driving my daughter in her sporting endeavors though! Besides - I've banned myself from buying new stuff till I make a dent in the lead pile. One year in. Withdrawal symptoms are abating. ;-) But it would be great to catch up sometime soon.

      Delete