Followers

Saturday 8 September 2018

Slowly Slowly Catchy Monkey

That's been a month since Claymore and I feel as if I am getting somewhere albeit slowly. Having finally got my cancer monkey off my back I can start to look ahead and get things moving again. I still get the odd day when I just have to have 40 winks and sometimes 40 winks more. My GP said it can sometimes take 6 months or even a year to get over radical surgery. If that is the case then I'm well past half way.

Last weekend I was at Border Reiver in Gateshead. A nice and not-so-little show a reasonable distance from Edinburgh. I made a few purchases, details below.

Some essential paint and brushes.


Some Napoleonics from Eagle Miniatures.


Some wildlife for a future project.


Some tents for another future project.


Some matt spray varnish which I am getting good results with.


And another future project.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch (hut) I have been making some army camps for my Teutonic Order forces.


A few bits of MDF, some matchsticks, some blue foam, some gravel and a lick of paint provides a camp occupied by some secondhand tents suitably embellished and occupied by a few Brothers.

Not a difficult build but quite a few matchsticks though.


The tents can be whisked away and the camp occupied by fighting troops should the need arise.


Playingwise we've had a few games of What A Tanker by the Two Fat Lardies.

Nice game although suffers a wee bit from a lack of scenarios.

We will persevere a bit longer.

16 comments:

  1. Excellent news on your health front, Jim! Hopefully, it is smooth sailing ahead.

    You picked up a lot of loot at the show. Enough to keep you busy for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention a fair bag of loot at the previous show (Claymore).

      Yes, I will be busy for quite a while.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are feeling better, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a new man (well refurbished).

      Looking forward to getting over to the States next year.

      Delete
    2. If you should get any where near LA or San Diego maybe we can hook up and the meals is on me.

      Delete
    3. This would be a family trip most likely to Florida but thanks for your offer.

      I did get to LA and SF a few years back.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear your health is improving .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have discovered What a Tanker, we have had many great games of this!
    I am also sooo glad you are recovering well from your medical problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get another precautionary scan in January so nothing to worry about for a while.

    Will need to be a bit inventive with scenarios for WAT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gated defence is a nicely executed idea and would look the part with my 4" hexes. Glad the your health continues to improve and that you are once again getting around all of the shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These bases are 120x60 mm and are used with my 150 mm gridded board for To The Strongest.

      It would be so easy to make them to fit a 4" grid, square or hexagonal.

      Delete
  7. Great to see you planning,painting and show attending .
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been the plan all along, now I can go into executive mode.

      Delete
  8. Good to hear that you are getting your gaming mojo back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding gaming the hardest part as it needs a bit of physical energy at the same time as mental energy.

      Painting and modelling is by comparison a lot easier and that is where my main focus is at the moment.

      Delete