Followers

Sunday 26 March 2017

Roman Villa in my Back Garden

My Goodness, it is bright today, first day of the year that I have been outside without a coat. I took the opportunity to photograph my Warbases Roman Villa without setting up my lights indoors.

It looks like this.


Quite impressive isn't it?


I have joined up all the buildings, based them, and they fit neatly inside the lid of an A4 paper box.


I attached the portico roof securely for strength reasons but left all the other roofs detachable in case the villa needs to be occupied.


The main room has a mosaic floor, in this case 'the Kidnapping of Europa'. Time Team will be pleased. I wonder who Europa was, I'll need to 'google' her.


The side rooms have plain flagstone floors as I only had 3 days to do it :)


The new owner looks like he will defend his villa to the last.

The villa (28mm) is from the Veni Vidi Vici range of Roman buildings by Warbases and retails at £35. I tiled the roofs with their Roman Roof tiles using a sheet and a half at £2 each, these will be available on their website soon. The garden area has tufts and flowers from my stock.

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_198&product_id=1381

The figure (28mm) is a Caesarian centurion by Warlord Games.

The painting is by my own fair hand and disguises discrete applications of filler around the corner joints. The exterior walls are Ivory White, interior walls are Afrika Sand/Burgundy, roofs are Terracotta (unsurprisingly, by Foundry), woodwork is Burgundy, all by Howard Hues and the grey is Dawnstone by Citadel.




14 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Very, very impressive! I particularly like the mozaic floor.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mosaic is one that was found by archaeologists in the villa that inspired this particular model.

      Delete
  2. Very nice - it just seems the materials available to us just get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is just the materials available that makes the difference. I think it is the creative minds behind the scenes.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant work. Often these MDF building don't quite look right, but for neat and tidy Roman buildings they seem to work a treat. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, neat and tidy is easy with MDF kits.

    I've got an experiment in the pipeline to 'roughen' them up a bit for the 'battle-worn' look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! The mosaic floor is a nice touch. And the general color theme looks very apt there in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete